Just like with a wardrobe, menu items change according to the time of year. Whether it be because the season has come for certain fruits and vegetables to be at their best or because it’s so hot that diners’ eating habits are more geared towards lighter meals; lots of restaurants make fantastic summertime menu adjustments. And as an extra bonus, a few of our favorite top chefs have made cookbooks available so that you can try your hand at some of their summertime classics at home as well. Bon appétit!
‘BBQ 25,‘ by Adam Perry Lang | Restaurant – Daisy May’s BBQ USA
– Even though this cookbook has been on the market since May 2010, it is still a strong contender as this summer’s go-to cookbook. The author, Adam Perry Lang, was trained at the Culinary Institute of America focusing on French cuisine but now is considered a guru for all things barbecue. The recipes in his cookbook range from brisket to anything cased. Lang’s restaurant, Daisy May’s BBQ USA, is also serving up food straight from the pit. DigitalCity.com claims “Daisy May’s authentic Southern treats have been anointed the Big Apple’s real deal.” Daisy May’s is located on 623 11th Avenue & W 46th St in New York City.
‘In the Green Kitchen,’ by Alice Waters | Restaurant – Chez Panisse
– Alice Waters’ cook book is founded on her belief of locally grown ingredients. The cookbook is based on her project ‘The Green Kitchen’ which teaches the art of simple cooking through videos. Her cookbook will feature 30 fundamental techniques and recipes which will also be demonstrated by Waters’ friends and chefs. Her restaurant, Chez Panisse, is also based on the idea of organic and fresh ingredients. Since opening in 1971, Chez Panisse has received many honors throughout the years including being recognized as one of the world’s best restaurants from 2002-2008. Chez Panisse is located at 1517 Shattuck Avenue in Berkeley, California.
– Rick Bayless’ book Fiesta at Rick’s is a guide not only for authentic Mexican cuisine but also for the art of entertaining. Bayless’ 150 recipe collection is an inspiration for many including celebrity chef, Rachel Ray who stated “Rick Bayless is el mejor cocinero! His flavors are so intense and layered that each bite brings tears to your eyes and that’s not just the chili peppers!” Bayless’ restaurants are also serving up the same Mexican cuisine. Frontera Grill has a more relaxed but energetic feel in comparison to its classier and more elegant sister restaurant, Topolobampo. Frontera Grill and Topolobampo are both located in Chicago at 445 North Clark Street.
‘The Good Stuff Cookbook,’ by Spike Mendelsohn | Restaurant – The Good Stuff Eatery
– If you’re looking to prepare a great burger, homemade fries, or milkshake in your own kitchen, The Good Stuff cookbook is where you should be finding your recipe. The cookbook houses 120 recipes from author Spike Mendelsohn, who was also a contestant on Top Chef Season 4. Mendelsohn takes his recipes straight from his restaurant, The Good Stuff Eatery. Located in the heart of our nation’s capital, Mendelsohn’s restaurant is even frequented by the First Family and Michelle Obama has stated that their burgers rate high on her list of favorites. The Good Stuff eatery is located 303 Pennsylvania Ave S.E. in Washington D.C.
Do you know of any great summertime dining hotspots?
- Meet the (Top Chef) Masters (restrow.wordpress.com)
- A roast and toasts to Chez Panisse as it turns 40 (sfgate.com)
- Video: Chef Rick Bayless Gives Outdoor Grilling Tips (shoppingblog.com)